CoverIndex

Mining and Uranium

Denison

1 picture · 1981

Founded
1954 (Elliot Lake claims / predecessor); Denison Mine production 1957
Head office then
Toronto, Ontario

Denison mined and milled uranium at Elliot Lake, Ontario. Production started in 1957. The 1981 report said 1982 would be twenty-five years of continuous output there. The company also held the Stanrock and Can-Met sites in the same camp.

Elliot Lake was a Cold War and later CANDU uranium camp. Denison was one of two long-lived operators there, with Rio Algom, and a main employer in the city.

Why it mattered

Elliot Lake was a Cold War and later CANDU uranium camp. Denison was one of two long-lived corporate operators there (with Rio Algom) and a main employer in the city. Ore went to domestic and export nuclear-fuel markets.

Now

The Denison Mine closed in March 1992. The Denison name continues as Denison Mines Corp., a Toronto company working in the Athabasca Basin. Elliot Lake is a closed, licensed tailings site, not an operating mine.

Changed hands (1992) · Now: Denison Mines Corp. (name continues; Elliot Lake operations shut)

Still open

  • Exact 1981 Toronto street address not confirmed in the sources used here.
  • Ore-tonnage figures for Elliot Lake differ slightly between Denison’s history page (69 million tonnes) and a CNS decommissioning paper (63 million tonnes milled); neither is used as a single official total in the body text.
Process plant at night: tower, red tank, deep blue sky.

Denison · 1981

Process plant at night: tower, red tank, deep blue sky.

Sources

The pictures

References

All companies