CoverIndex

Power, Rail, Marine, Air

Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro

1 picture · 1977

Founded
1954 as Newfoundland Power Commission; Crown corporation 1975 as Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro-Electric Corporation
Head office then
St. John's, Newfoundland

Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro was the provincial electric utility, with head office in St. John’s. It generated and transmitted power on the island and in Labrador, and held the province’s controlling interest in Churchill Falls.

The Power Commission of 1954 was created for rural electrification. The 1975 Crown corporation became the province’s main generator and the vehicle for Labrador hydro.

Why it mattered

The Power Commission (1954) was created for rural electrification; the 1975 Crown corporation became the province's main generator. Hydro remains the vehicle for Labrador hydro, including Churchill Falls and later Muskrat Falls.

Now

It still operates as a provincial Crown corporation. Nalcor was created as its parent in 2007 and was amalgamated back into Hydro on 1 January 2025.

Crown corporation (2025) · Now: Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro-Electric Corporation (Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro)

Still open

  • Nalcor was Hydro's parent from 2007; operational wind-down was announced in 2021 and the legal amalgamation took effect 1 January 2025.
Churchill Falls switchyard lights in snow.

Newfoundland and Labrador Hydro · 1977

Churchill Falls switchyard lights in snow.

Sources

The pictures

References

All companies